My Little Kingdom

A day in the life of me and my kingdom. Thoughts of a mother of four amazing little boys, a wife of an incredible husband and a woman trying not to forget about herself.

July 26, 2004

A Day in the Life
(This actually took place in February, an email to my friend)
Here's what you missed today. It started out the norm. However, the battle between breakfast and cartoons rapidly escalated into an all out war. And that's when I knew today was going to be a day of days. In fact everything seemed to be a battle today. We somehow were transported and awoke this morning in the middle of a battle field. My husband wishing me luck skipped off to work while I stood there at the bottom of the stairs calling out, "Are you sure they don't have daycare at your office?". We had a few minor squabbles and then I began to sigh a little with relief until I noticed a rather disturbing odor. Just as we were heading out the door to the post office. It was so disturbing that I began sniffing the air to track the source. Soon I was on my hands and knees with my nose in and on everything. I did determine it was time to wash the bathroom towels which led me into the walk in closet. Which is where I found it. Another hidden pee spot from our former cat. Which is why she is our former cat. Back in the corner on a plastic bag(thank goodness) among my husbands shoes. Good thing she was already gone, that's all I have to say.

I began to clean up and headed down stairs to find the cleaners and sprays when I came face to face with reality! I HAVE KIDS! I forgot that I was headed out the door and for a moment apparently had forgotten that I had three little boys all of whom where very quiet. And I in my odor sniffing rage had come face to face with the day once again. My jaw dropped open. LIterally. I gasped and was utterly speechless. I didn't know what to do yell, scream, cry or just collapse in a pile of "I give up". There were my two oldest sitting on the couch scooping out Isaac's formula. And there was Isaac rolling in it on the floor. And when I finallly sputtered out a "NOOoooo", the oldest of the three quickly dumped out the rest to finish the job. At least he's thorough, I'll give him that. I put them in their room and went about stomping through the house. To make matters worse, we were out of vacuum bags so I couldn't even vacuum it up..

We finally made it to the post office and to the store for vacuum bags. Then back for lunch with a huge helping of tantrums. At last I threw in the towel, put the baby to bed and sat on the couch with the other two watching cartoons and sipping milk. I placed an arm around each of them giving them each a kiss and whispering, "I love you, I really do." Now they are all three asleep. Have I won the battle. Oh, no the day is still going and I'm fearful there will be an extra force of grumpies on their side tonight. However, I am hopeful and grateful for this moment of peace and quiet to catch my breath and get my head on straight.

It has been a day. Luckily these only come so often, sometimes in batches and sometimes alone. But, thankfully they go away and we are again one on the homefront.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Moll said...

hello, just testing to see if I've figured out the comments feature.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment