My Little Kingdom

A day in the life of me and my kingdom. Thoughts of a mother of four amazing little boys, a wife of an incredible husband and a woman trying not to forget about herself.

March 01, 2006

Ladybugs

After the usual bedtime routine of snacks, teeth, family prayer, hugs and kisses, pj’s, stories and books, potty, drinks, wiggles and giggles I was finally left with one little boy out of the four awake. Beyond exhausted at this point, I had the choice of laying down in his bed with him or inviting him to lay down in mine. I knew I’d fall asleep before him so I opted for my bed.

Patiently I waited while he fiddled around down on the floor next to my bed. Trying not to get frustrated with this so very not sleepy little boy who still had all the energy in the world I patiently continued trying to get him to settle down.

When all of a sudden, he pounced into bed next to me yelling, “HURRY, the ladybugs are coming!”

‘Ladybugs!? Are they mean?’, I ask.

“Yup, they’re gonna get us!,” replies Isaac very seriously. “I’ll go get my blue light saber, that’ll get ‘em!”

Seizing the opportunity to finally get him in bed and under the covers, I join in, “NO!, Wait!, They can’t get you under the super shield blankets’.

“Oh, Yah!” as he excitedly slides under the covers pulling them up over his head.

Curious about these ladybugs I ask, ‘Sooo, what color are they?’.

“The mean ones are pink,” he replies with a deep stern voice.

‘Are there nice ones?’, I inquire.

“Yup, they’re blue” he informs me.

‘That’s good to know’ thanking him.

Some how I muster up enough strength to help fight off the ladybugs and continue hiding from them for a while. His eyes begin to grow heavy and he’s fighting to keep them open.

He sleepily pipes up, “I wanna go to granny’s, she doesn’t have monsters”.

Reassuring him, ‘Well we don’t have monsters either.’

“Yah but we have ladybugs,” he reminds me.

‘Oh, that’s right’, I smile. And we both drift off.

(Since then I have come to find out that ladybugs have very big sharp teeth, ten feet and two eyes and they’ll eat you and any bees that might be in the vicinity. They live under my bed but venture out to fly around from time to time. So keep your eyes peeled in case any wander your way. Oh and if you don’t have a blue light saber or super shield sheets, throw beans at them. That seems to repel them just the same. However, I do recommend the pretend kind.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post for so many reasons - his imagination, your ability to adapt (and get him into bed), and the confession about killer ladybugs.

My son is 3.5 years and always amazing me with his imagination.

Just found your blog and really enjoyed it!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment