My Little Kingdom

A day in the life of me and my kingdom. Thoughts of a mother of four amazing little boys, a wife of an incredible husband and a woman trying not to forget about herself.

April 12, 2008

A Day in the Life

Are Your Smarter Than a 4 Year Old?
While checking out at the store a woman began speaking over the intercom. She was making an announcement for the store clerks and asking certain departments (which was an amazing amount of them, I didn’t realize how many departments there were) to come get their pick ups at customer service. She began rattling off numbers of departments something along the lines of, ‘…13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 37, 38, 39, Isaac leans into me and whispers, “she can’t count very good". The woman continues to rattle off department numbers 44, 46, 47, 53, 61, 62, 63, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 75, 77, 78, 83, 87, 88, 90, 91, 96, 97, 99. " giggling he whispers she’s doesn’t know how to count does she?”

Why Is That?
While waiting for Edison to get out of school, I started thumbing through a magazine the usual way, backwards. I realized I had caught Isaac’s attention as he watched me intently for a moment and then when he could bare it no more he informed me, “You’re reading that wrong, you’re supposed to start from the front.” He then showed me how you begin at the beginning of a book. “Like this mom”

Improvise
You can always tell when it’s spring around here, one sign is the sudden outbreak of cuts, scrapes and bumps. Edison did just that, his scraped the skin right off of his knee and elbow and obtained a few bumps and cuts in between. After the sting had subsided and he was feeling good enough to give into the temptation of warmer weather calling, he joined his brothers outside. Only a minute later did he bounce back in the house asking for packing or duct tape. When I couldn’t find any he said, that’s ok, this will do as he proceeded to tape up the hem of his shorts with scotch tape. He taped the whole hem a good three inches up his thigh to keep it from brushing against his scrapes and cuts. He’s a strong disbeliever in band aids.

Call It Like It Is
Isaac: Ding bell is what Isaac calls the school bell at the elementary school.
Another saying around here: “you took my flavor”
Hudson: Panpakes (pancakes)


Headroom
Isaac pronounced the need for a new bigger car because when he stands up inside ours his head brushes against the top.

A New Holiday
While driving home down a certain stretch of road, we came upon a ‘construction zone’. The road was lined with an absurd amount of cones. Isaac gasps, “HOLY COW! Look at all those cones! It must be cone day.”

Cannon Boy
After making popcorn for the boys, Hudson sat down with a big bowl and dove in. He took a humongous handful, tilted his head back and shoved in the popcorn. Suddenly he let out this strange little whine that didn’t let up. I kept asking what? Checking in his gums and teeth to see if any kernels were stuck. He kept his persistent somewhat panicky whine going. Lost, I asked what one more time, with his head tilted back again he pointed to his nose and revealed a small piece of popcorn in one of his nostrils. Trying not to laugh or make a big deal about it, after all I didn’t want him to inhale and suck it up further. I told him to breath out his nose really hard and fast. He blew and boy did it shoot across the room. His brothers thought it was cool and we all laughed hysterically.

Hudson: I love you mom
Mom: you love me?!
Hudson: noooo (pause) I love you SO much

Isaac: Having a rough morning, I sympathized with him and said, ‘you’re having a rough morning aren’t you?” he nodded. 6:15pm that night, he says “ I’m still having a rough morning”.

How Much Is the Horsie in the Field?
Mom:I see Horsies.
Hudson: ah, I wanna buy one
Mom:Where are we gonna put it?
Hudson: In a cage.
(Hudson loves and adores animals, as long as they stay out of his comfort zone)

Road Trip
Literally a short jaunt down the road, maybe 1.5 minutes and
Isaac sighs as he opens the door: ah, man it’s so good to get out of that car.

A Family Poll
Edison: All I wanna do is eat dinner ‘N’ get in the pool.
Isaac excitedly casts his vote for the evening: Aw, that’d be so fun to eat dinner in the pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment