My Little Kingdom

A day in the life of me and my kingdom. Thoughts of a mother of four amazing little boys, a wife of an incredible husband and a woman trying not to forget about herself.

November 12, 2004

Someone's To Blame

This one is for my mother-in-law. The other day we were talking on the phone and she was telling me(in good humor) how every one had been blaming her for everything under the sun. For instance she just got back from a trip visiting her parents and upon her return she was informed how one of her grandsons had missed her so very much, and that it was her fault because she made him like her so much. And just before leaving her parents home they jokingly told her how they were going to be miserable now since she had pampered and spoiled them. We were joking how everything is somehow linked to her, being her fault some how in some way.

So as we were talking my youngest came upstairs with damp pants, I didn't think much of it, they were in the back yard playing with the dog and it had been drizzling on and off all morning. I wasn't on the portable phone so I dared to let the thought slip away that something might be going on. Then Edison comes bounding half way up the stairs, "MOM, Mom come see what we made!". "What'd you make sweetheart?" "Puddles!" "Puddles?!"...

"Uh, they're making puddles, I better go." My mother-in-law agreeing freely and willingly took the blame. She said 'since I called and you were talking to me, then you can blame what ever they did on me'. Well mom, it's your fault! :) They flooded almost the entire back yard with water. Mostly in the mulch border that encircles the grass area. Since it had been raining so much the past few days the ground was already saturated and it didn't take much at all to make giant stompin' puddles. The boys were in heaven and the dog was jumping and splashing too. oh, what a sight. But, yah know I remember making puddles and mud holes as a kid too. So I couldn't be upset. Some of my fondest memories come from filling giant lawn/garbage cans with water and dunking ourselves in them, coming home covered in sap and scratches, digging fox holes and playing army... Being dirty and making messes is all relative isn't it. It's in the eye of the beholder. One man's heaven is another man's mess. No I didn't jump in with them, they were cold and wet and ready to come in anyways. We cleaned up, warmed up and had snacks while watching some cartoons.


Our yard is still sopping wet. In fact as I opened the back door to let the dog in she stood right in the deepest muddiest part by the grape vines, where there wasn't any bark or mulch. And as I called her in she looked right at me and layed down in the mud as if to say make me. Well she got a bath and came in.


Needless to say it's your fault mom, you said so. With love I dedicate this one to you!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, this story holds an important concept that I personally NEED to remember at all times...

Remembering what FUN used to be!

Now that I have a newborn daughter, I'm sure she'll discover things to do that she considers fun, and that I might consider "bothersome". I just need to remember all the stuff I used to do as a kid, instead of reacting to the extra work or disturbance my child just created for me. Thanks for helping me remember!

- Jason G.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment