My Little Kingdom

A day in the life of me and my kingdom. Thoughts of a mother of four amazing little boys, a wife of an incredible husband and a woman trying not to forget about herself.

October 07, 2004

Rocket Boys

The newest and latest craze in our household is the mighty rocket. Cameron as a boy loved and built rockets. And has kept them along with some of his airplanes all of these years. One evening for the guys night out Cameron pulled out his rocket and took the boys to the park. Later that night they burst through the front door excitedly jumping up and down and talking as fast as they could, demonstrating with their bodies how the rocket shot into the air. We had little boys blasting off all night. And they’ve never been the same since. When Cameron mentioned we had a rocket movie(October sky) it was all over. That is now their favorite movie, replacing The Rookie (baseball). I fast forward to all of the rocket scenes for them. Everything is now a rocket as they place blast off all day and all night, jumping behind tables and chairs to cover themselves from the exploding force of the rockets blasting off into space. Our home has literally become their launch pad and at times I have to run for cover.

One evening we took them to the hobby shop and bought them each a small inexpensive rocket kit. And as Cameron was paying I took Isaac out to the car to keep his busy little fingers out of their merchandise. Edison and Everest came out excited and jumping all around. I asked them ‘what do you say to daddy?’ expecting the usual response of thank you. However, without hesitation Edison pipes up, “GET HOME”. He wanted to get those rockets together and in the air.

They had a blast building them. And then that Saturday they took them to the park. Edison chose a safe distance to watch the rocket launch and Everest was right up in there pushing the button with Isaac at his heels. There was a little bit of wind so when Everest’s rocket launched not only were we surprised at how high it went but how far it drifted. Instead of coming right back down as usual it went a couple of blocks and landed on our friends house. We waited for the wind to die down and tried it a couple more times. The boys just as excited with each launch.

And so it continues, rockets, rockets and more rockets.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an awesome story! And it's so timely too, with SpaceShipOne winning the X-Prize. Maybe I can convince my wife that "Sure! Little girls are supposed to love rockets too!" Well, my wife's pregnant again and we find out what sex it is in two and a half weeks. I hope it's a boy! All of your stories let me know that while boys can be a handful on occasion, they're also a blast. (No pun intended, considering the story I'm commenting on.)

I may have said this before, but that's why I like reading your blog. Your writing style is so honest and down to earth, it makes it easy to relate. My one year-old daughter can already be a handful, but she's so much fun to watch grow up. I read your stories and can see Abbi (and maybe the next child) doing something like your children. Hopefully I'll be as patient as you are. Oh, and just to let you know, I got my wife to read all your articles and we're considering Edison as one of the names if it indeed turns out to be a boy.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Suzanne Moll said...

Congrats on the baby! That's awesome! You know everyone has told me that girl's are harder than boys to raise. But, you can't believe everything you hear that's for sure. I think they are mostly referring to the emmotional years. I grew up with all brothers and knew I wanted boys. I love 'em especially all of the creativity and imagination they come with. Maybe next time around we'll be blessed with a girl. Hope you get your boy and Edison is a rather fine name, if I do say so myself. :)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Suzanne Moll said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I was a rocket lovin' kind of girl and still am. So, you never know you're little girl might really get a kick out of that kind of thing too. There's only one way to find out. :) Good Luck

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you about three and a half weeks ago that my wife Amy and I were considering using Edison as a name for our new baby my wife is pregnant with. Well, I'm sorry to say that we can't use it. We found out today that it's a girl! So I suppose I'm outnumbered now for good! My wife and two girls... Wow...

I just wanted to pass on my good news since I had told you earlier about my wife being pregnant. Our new little girl will be named Sarah Katherine.

Ray (http://www.rayandamy.com)

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment